11.24.2009

The Attitude of Gratitude


"At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person.
Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us."

Thanksgiving time: turkey, family, football - good times! This year I've decided to build my attitude of gratitude! I'm ready to celebrate the people in my life! During the 29 days between Thanksgiving and Christmas Day, I'm going to be contacting 29 people that I'm grateful for. Some of them know (like my mentor/old boss VC-I tell him all the time; or like my girl Erin - we end every call w/acknowledgements of how grateful we are to be in each other's lives). Some people may not know - like this lady in my building who is always so kind. I'm going to contact folk and let them know just how grateful I am for their presence in my life. I'm also looking forward to upping my meditation practice. 15 minutes a day just contemplate all the things I have to be grateful for. I'm going to pull out my gratitude journal too! YES! I'm ready for this time!

How can you be more grateful? Any plans to show gratitude?

2 comments:

enorman said...

I love it girl! I am working on being more grateful for what I do have instead of thinking about what I don't! I have a journal that I've been planning on (all year) using and writing what I'm thankful for every night before bed and you have just inspired me to FINALLY do it! I'm starting tonight and will be writing how grateful I am to have friends like you to remind me of these things. Thanks Davida! Love you! :)

Kay* said...

you know, there's this book by a.j. jacobs called 'the year of living biblically' (which is absolutely hilarious!) and i remember him saying in the book that after giving thanks for every single thing that goes right during a typical day (ex. the elevator working, making it safely to the grocery store, not tripping on the rock, enjoying his meal etc...) he appreciates/gives thanks more now. we seem to always tend to focus on the 1 or 2 things that don't go our way instead of the 100s that go right.

i plan on giving thanks for every single thing that goes right over the next day or two. i think that will open my eyes a bit more to all that we should be grateful for.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin