9.17.2009

That's My Sis


I came home from high school one day and my mother had been rushed to the hospital. She was super sick but the doctor's could not determine what the issue was. After days of tests and still no prognosis, they decided they'd put her on some medication. In order to receive this prescription, a pregnancy test had to be run. Come to find out she was pregnant and she and my stepdad were going to have a baby in two months! All my life I'd dreamed of having a REAL sister (I have a stepsister by my assumed dad and my stepdad had a daughter who is like blood but I wanted my own REAL sister growing up). I really desired this when I was like 7, but instead I got one the year before I was about to graduate high school!

Leanna was a peculiar baby-she made weird associations. For instance since she called our mom mom and her dad dad, she called everyone else their relation to her. She'd call me sister (she only says it now when she wants something). I loved that little girl and spent a crapload of time with her. She was ridiculously cute and I could teach her to say stuff from movies and TV (My favorite was when mom tried to take her bike and she said, "That's my bike Punk," like D-Bo on Friday!). But since I was off to college shortly after she was born, my relationship with my sister was hard to really establish. They moved to Texas, then I started my gypsy migration so I moved all the time. When I moved to Houston for law school, I lived at home, giving me time to reconnect with my sis. BUT she was no longer this cute lil' baby that called me sistah, she was a DIVA! LOL! She was a fashionista-LOVES clothes- and her personality is totally opposite of mine. (For her 11th birthday she described this outfit she wanted in such detail that my friend Kacy and I still laugh about it!).

I don't know if I have done a great job of letting her know how much I love her. I don't do that as well as you'd think since I'm such an expressive writer. One thing I admire most about my sister is her ability to speak her mind. When I was her age, More...I never really said what I felt or thought-I said what I knew would keep me out of trouble. She doesn't have a censor, she says what she feels. I'm not saying that is always best, she is still a kid, but she has healthy a self expression and a ton of confidence. She has the ability to be herself ... really be herself. She is an Aquarius and lives up to that sign (ironically she was born the day before the Aquarius/Pisces cusp and I'm a Cancer/Leo cusper). We are both different than most folk, but she LOVES it and embraces it (I don't enjoy being different although I'm at the point where I've got to accept it). I remember when my Granny turned 65 we had a big party for her with a band. Usher's "You've Got It Bad" was out and when the band played that song, she jumped on stage and started belting it out! I was in tears! (I cry a lot when I'm moved by other's talent.) Another example, this school year, she joined wrestling team - she's a DIVA not an athlete but she's committing to it because it is simply something different than the other girls do (and she apparently likes to fight!). This is a girl who will not leave the house with her hair out of place but she wrestles!

My sister is a manifestor. I'm not sure if she even knows it but she speaks things into existence. For as long as I can remember, she would say I am going to get a car when I turn 16. Since I've had a job since I was 14 and didn't get a car until I GRADUATED from college and I bought that myself, I would be like whatever. BUT wouldn't you know it, somebody GAVE her a car! She was always so confident in her belief she'd get a car and now before she's even able to drive it, she's got a car sitting outside. Talk about name it and claim it. I'll admit, even though I'm exhibiting some hater like tendencies right now (I'm VERY jealous), I do think it is pretty neat that she spoke that up. Now if she could just speak on her career and goals in life ...

So today, in honor of her FAB-O progress report, I celebrate my little sister for all that she is right now and all she decides to become. Love you LeeLee!


3 comments:

writinginbelair said...

This is such a cool tribute...full of love and that kind of bond that you just can't buy. I'm so glad I came across your blog and can't wait to read more. Take care and keep sharing - please.

Kim Butler said...

Aww...so sweet of you, DaVida. I remember that entire, "My momma's gonna have a baby" episode like it was yesterday...and, yes, she was a very cute little girl! She's quite a beauty, now, too..Time flies...

Karla said...

That was so sweet! Kudos to your little sister and tell her I LERVE wrestling! I mean LERVE it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin