8.28.2009

Class Is In Session

Today is my first day of class - I'm enrolled in LIFE 101! I have always recognized learning opportunities in the most random of places and I've learned valuable lessons from the unlikeliest of teachers. As I pursue my dreams and goals, I've decided to go after my desires with an extreme ferociousness I have not used in the past. I've decided to stop complaining and see things as they really are - opportunities to expand my knowledge and to grow!

As I was cleaning up today, I was listening to Kanye West on Pandora. I love Kanye and have since he came out with "The College Dropout". He is so lyrically gifted it makes it easy to overlook his social ills. I rocks Mr. West!! I put on my Kanye West station today as I was cleaning up and I recognized why I am so attracted to him lyrically. Kanye speaks a lot on the College Dropout about things he wants to happen and by Graduation, many of those things came to pass!

When I heard "Through the Wire" today it was as if I were hearing it for the first time. He really spits some stuff on this track

  • He says," What if somebody from the Chi that was ill got a deal on the hottest rap label around. But he wasn't talking bout coke and birds it was more like spoken word. Except he really putting it down." That's exactly what Kanye is - he is like a super dope spoken word artist w/fire beats that make his words pop! He's a poet and his songs share poetic verse after verse about his life and the things he desires.
  • Then he says,"But I'm a champion, so I turned tragedy to triumph. Make music that's fire, spit my soul through the wire." At this point he had produced some hot tracks but he wasn't doing it like he is now. But he spoke with such confidence, such enthusiasm for what he was saying. He believed then that he would be who he is now.

I was feeling this song so much then Pandora hit me with "All Falls Down." When this song came on, I knew there was a direct message for me!

  • He is on me when he says,"She's so self conscious. She has no idea what she's doing in college. That major that she majored in don't make no money, but she won't drop out, her parents will look at her funny." WOW! That was me! I had no desire to go to college but my family put so much emphasis on education. Even though I wanted to do then what I do now (write, make movies, help people find their talent), I had to go to college. While it was a great experience and I wouldn't change it for the world, I went mainly b/c other people wanted me to. This verse and song reminded me of my true desire right now.

I do value education and the opportunities it provides. But unlike when I attended college or even law school, I get to pick the lessons I want to learn now! I am in charge - I get to select the curriculum, the professors and the course length ... I even get to decide when the lessons has been adequately taught! I've decided to invest in my education - this time the course of study is ME and MY LIFE! The first class I've signed up for is LIFE 101. In this course, I will learn how to be exactly who I am. This course will allow me to let go of my preconceived notions of who I am and dive deeply into the reality of who I am and what I'm about. My professors are the philosophers of my day (people seem to live lives that are led from their gut and their deepest desires). My homework is heavy heavy journaling and blogging - sharing my experiences as I go. This class is great because I have to go on field trips often! I'm excited about LIFE 101 - the only thing is, I have no idea how long this course lasts!





No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin